Friday, July 22, 2016

Wood Finishing Tips

First and foremost is material preparation. Always make the extra effort when you sand. I know it is not the fun part but it will determine the end result. Sanding has two to three stages depending on your starting and ending point. Most material comes with a planned surface. This is cut with knives to create a smooth surface but will create chips, rough spots and does not take a finish well.

With a planned surface I start with an 80 grit to create a flat surface. I use a drum sander to achieve this but a flat block can achieve the same. Next is a 100 grit to smooth out the surface. When I use an oil/ wax finish I may stop here. I usually stop at a 120 grit for a stained surface. There are some who will take it all the way up to a 180 grit for very fine finish products such as furniture.

Never use a palm sander for finish as it will leave little hook marks that will show up when a stain is applied. Use an orbital sander instead. Some confuse a palm and orbital sander. The motion is different and so is the finish. Palm sanders are light weight and easy to use just don’t finish with them. These sanders allow you to use lower grit paper. Same with a vibrating sander.

In the past kitchen cabinets were my main products. After an 80 and 100 grit on my drum sander I finished up with a 120 grit using a vibrating or orbital sander. The stains looked great on this surface. I would always finish up with a sealer coat of lacquer and two finish coats of lacquer. The customers were always very happy with this finish. Keep in mind lacquer is a finish of convenience. There are many, more durable finishes, most take 24 hours to dry between coats and usually must be applied with a brush.

Below are a few products I make for B2B sales. All these products are handmade with redwood. The orange oil/beeswax and patina lifetime finishes are easy to use, safe natural products. You only need a rag and or a bucket. Contact me for more information, I am always happy to share.

Orange Oil Beeswax Finish
Completed Cigar Box


Redwood Deck Stain 
Patina Water Base Finish 

No comments:

Post a Comment